Sunday, November 8, 2015

There's an alternative, why not use it?

Yesterday, I found out a disturbing news. The Rose Ointment I have from Young Living contains mink oil. I did not bother to research it more when I read it because I thought that mink is just some type of plants, until someone ask about it at the oil group on Facebook that I am in. "Was the mink oil ethically sourced?" Then, it just clicked on me about "mink fur" and how cute minks are. I was scared to know where the mink oil came from.

Yesterday, I had the reply from product information at YL:

"The minks that we use as the source for our mink oil are minks that are
farm raised for their fur. Humane euthanasia techniques practiced on
fur farms are those recommended by the American Veterinary Medical
Association in the United States and by the Guelph University Research
Facility in Canada. The only method of euthanasia for mink certified
by FCUSA Animal Welfare Committee is pure carbon monoxide or carbon
dioxide bottled gas. The animals are immediately rendered unconscious
and die without stress or pain. Due to the larger physical size of fox,
the American Veterinary Medical Association approves lethal injection as
the most humane method. This is the only method recommended by the FCUSA
Animal Welfare Committee. These are the same methods used by many local
humane shelters. In the United States, the U.S. Department of
Agriculture (USDA) includes fur farming in annual agriculture production
statistics and reports, as do most state agriculture departments. In
Canada, fur farming is licensed and regulated by the provincial
departments of agriculture.

Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under their
skins. This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is skinned and is
then rendered into mink oil. Mink oil is a source of palmitoleic acid
which possesses physical properties similar to human sebum, therefore
mink oil is used in several medical and cosmetic products."

That just does not sit well with me. I am appalled. Bear in mind, I am not an animal activist, I still eat meat and all.......but this just is not right on many level.
1) There is a botanical alternative, why not use it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink_oil
2) Gas chamber as supposed to lethal injection?
3) How can this be cruelty free? I need a new definition of cruelty free :(
By the way, I also questioned whether YL is TRULY cruelty free, when they claim to be. Why aren't they listed at PETA or the Leaping Bunny? Companies can claim whatever without third party accountability.

Now, I just don't know what to do with my rose ointment. I can't use it when I think of the minks, although I used to enjoy the smell of it.









2 comments:

  1. Bravo. I am happy that someone else is finally talking about this. I was in love with my Young Living products. All of my home goods are cruelty free and I feel I have been bamboozled. Especially when I asked this question before my purchase. "Are you cruelty free?" This sucks. Will not use there product anymore. There is definitely an alternative and I will use it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually revoking my membership. They gave me the same answer. What the heck is wrong with Young Living?

    ReplyDelete